Wednesday, October 6, 2010

TEACHING MOMENTS

Yesterday in Seminary Evan was learning about the "Worth of Souls" and his teach shared a scripture with the students found in the Doctrine and Covenants.  She also stated that there were other scriptures found in the other standard works.  She couldn't remember the reference and challenged the kids to locate the scripture.

The keys words she gave the students:  "engraven in his hands"

Evan and I were coming home from his school.  I stated that I couldn't remember the the scripture reference but I knew that Grandpa could tell us.

After calling mom and dad's I was given mom's new cell phone number!  Yeah!  Called and asked Grandma the question so that she could relay it to Grandpa since he was driving.  He gave us more key words and gave us additional information.  The scripture could be in Isaiah, Zechariah and there could be some reference in the Book of Mormon and in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Evan and I each got on our computers and started searching the scriptures on lds.org and found some scriptures but not the exact one.  Evan decided to use his favorite search tool:  Google.  He found the scripture reference.

We looked up the scripture on lds.org and talked about it and then proceeded to find 4 other references.

We then discussed what the scriptures were talking about.  I asked him what it meant to have us graven in his hands.  I explained that it was a mental picture.

We then talked about the Atonement and the crucifiction and resurrection.  I asked him who Jesus Christ did this for and he stated:  "For us."  I told him he was correct.

My challenge to you is to tell us what scriptures we found.  I will give you the following hints:

There are two references in the Old Testament; one reference in the Book of Mormon; one reference in the New Testament and one reference in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Thanks Dad!

No comments: