Thursday, May 27, 2010

DIVINE NATURE

Be partakers of the divine nature....Giving all diligence,
add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience;
and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness;
and to brotherly kindness charity (2 Peter 1:4-7).

I love this scripture!  When I think about my marriage and the relationship with my husband I think upon this scripture and wonder if I behave appropriately towards him.  I use this scripture to check myself.  I also think about my responsibilities as a mother and evaluate my interaction with my children against this scripture.

These are attributes that the Savior exemplified during his life here on earth.  They were taught by his actions and deeds.  These are also attributes of our Heavenly Father.  These are divine attributes that we should strive to develop and then work towards perfecting them.

For the past couple weeks I have made a special effort to strengthen my relationship with my husband by showing my love for him through my actions.  It takes great effort to refrain from judging, criticizing or speaking unkindly when you are out of practice.  It takes an equal amount of effort to watch for positive qualities.  Writing notes of encouragement (or love notes); praying for my husband, finding ways to be helpful and verbally expressing my love have helped me see him for who he is.  A son of God who is of worth.

Another scripture that reminds me of how I should behave is found in Colssians 3:12-17

Put on therefore,as the elect of God, holy and
beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness,
humbleness of mind, meekness,
longsuffering; Forbearing one another, if
any man have a quarrel against any, even as
Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  And above
all these things put on charity, which is the
bond of perfectness.  And let the peace of God
rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are
called in one body; and be ye thankful.  Let
the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all
wisdom; teaching and admonishing one
another in psalms and hymns and spiritual
songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the
Lord.  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving
thanks to God and the Father by him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"And let the peace of God rule in your heart..." That's a great thing to obtain when you have small children! :D