Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"MOTHER DAUGHTER BONDING"

When I was the Young Women's president I had an idea to put a binder together for each one of my girls so that they could gain a testimony of their Savior as they worked on some of their Personal Progress goals.

I had information that I had picked up in Orem at Deseret Book and Jennifer and shared how her Ward had put together their program:  14 Day Walk With Christ.

I had spent several weeks putting the binders together and they ended up being a parting gift to each of the Young Women when I was released as the Young Women's President.  I had also made one for me and one for Asilyn.  I had made one for Aislyn and gave it to her as a gift at Christmas time.  This was a special gift to both of us because it would give us an opportunity to work together on her Personal Progress when she turned twelve the coming summer.

Aislyn turned 12 last July and has only done maybe one or two value experiences in her Personal Progress Book.  I have felt guilty for not having found time to spend with her to help her achieve that goal.

For the past several weeks I had been thinking about when it would be a good time to start working with her and then finally made a decision this past Sunday to spend time with her Sunday evening.

After we had dinner and the kitchen was cleaned I asked Aislyn to get her binder; personal progress book; journal and scriptures.  While she was gathering her items, I gathered mine (including my Tender Mercies Journal).

We sat down at the dining room table and began reading aloud.  I taught her some ways to mark her scriptures and how to make notes as we read and then we started working on the very first Value Experience together.  I watched her as we read together and talked about the goals and her countenance reflected mine.  I knew she was happy to spend time with me and appreciated the efforts to help her with her Personal Progress.  Her willingness to participate and use the binder that I had spent so much time preparing was worth all the work.

I don't know if the Young Women in our ward ever used the binders I created and I have felt a little sorrow over that possibility.  Yet, after Sunday evening, I know that if this work has touched even one Young Woman, then I have done my job.  To know that this Young Woman is my very own daughter makes that blessing and joy greater.

Heavenly Father gave his daughters little girls so that they could experience the joy of their sweet spirits.  My daughters are a gift from Heaven - another Tender Mercy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that! There is nothing like the bond between a mother and daughter. It is through that bond that so many good things can transpire.