Friday, August 13, 2010

THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT

"And take the helmet of salvation and the sword that the Spirit wields, which is the Word of God."  - Ephesians 6:17

"If you abide in My word, you are truly My disciples.  And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free."  -  John 8:31-32

The attacks of Satan against the church are more intense than ever before.  More people than ever are experiencing tremendous attacks against their minds and enduring great attacks of fear.

A person who learns to abide in the Word of God and lets the Word abide in him will have a two-edged sword with which to do battle.  To abide means to remain, to continue in, or to dwell in.  If you make God's Word a small part of your life, you will know only a partial truth and will experience only limited freedom, but those who abide in it will know the full truth and will experience complete freedom.

Several years ago we were counselled to read the Book of Mormon, cover-to-cover, before the year was through.  We were promised many blessings if we did.

I remember going through this exercise and I read very quickly, especially toward the end of the year because I had missed a few days of reading.

Shortly after completing the the Book of Mormon I received additional counsel to read it again and I have, several times.  Each time I begin I slow it down a bit.  I think I am on my 5th or 6th time and I am only on Chapter 2 of second Nephi.

I have not just focused my energies on reading the Book of Mormon.  I have found comfort in all the standard works and have been studying topics that are relevent to me in my life right now.
I can testify that the Word of God has caused me to be victorious over the devil.  I am able to combat dispair, depression and dispondency.  My life was a mess because I was ignorant of the Word.  I lacked direction because I had set my heart on those things that were less than divine.  I had been a Christian for many years who loved God and was active in church work.  But I had zero victory because I did not know the Word.

Knowing God's word is essential.  It is even more important to apply His word to our lives.  We should be living, eating, breathing the Gospel every moment of the day.  We should be devoting our time and energy to becoming like the Saviour.

"If you abide in My word, you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." - John 8:31-32


Learn the Word and allow the Holy Spirit to wield it by speaking, singing, or meditating on the portions of Scripture that you feel He is placing on your heart.

No comments: