Saturday, September 17, 2011

ETERNAL TRUTHS

I really enjoy reading the scriptures.  My favorite standard work is the Book of Mormon.  My favorite book is the Book of Enos.  My favorite chapter is chapter 1.  My favorite verse... well, they are all good.

I was reading the Book of Enos the other day and was touched again by the power of Enos's testimony.  I believe that any person who has experienced a mighty change can relate to the feelings of Enos.  Each time I read his account I reflect on my own life and the blessings of the atonement.  As I read his words this week there were several verses that meant more to me than any others I had read before:

"And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.

"And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

"And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away."

-Enos 1:4-6

Many years ago I had a similar experience and I remember asking the question "Have you forgiven me?"  The answer returned was a warm and distinct "Yes."

I felt the burden of my past mistakes and errors lift from me.  Each time I read the testimony of Enos I am reminded of the love and compassion my Heavenly Father had toward me.

I have also known that "God could not lie" and that I have no reason to doubt.

Heavenly Father blesses each of us "Because of thy faith in Christ," whom we have never seen or heard.  He has promised:  "I will grant unto thee according to they desires, because of thy faith."

Faith in Christ is the key to unlocking so many Eternal Truths.  Faith being the first principle of the Gospel brings us unto Christ.  Believing Christ helps us to gain a remission of our sins and to hear the loving, compassionate words of our Heavenly Father "go to, thy faith hath made thee whole."

With the experiences, trials and tests of the past year and a half I have come to rely on the words spoken by Heavenly Father:  "Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it."  I have the same faith as Enos:  "I had faith, and I did cry unto God..."

Enos testifies:  "And I, Enos, knew it would be according to the covenant which he had made; wherefore my soul did rest."

When we are right with God and we make and keep sacred covenants we will find peace and rest for our souls.  I am grateful that I was prompted to turn to the Lord and to the scriptures during those times in my life that were so difficult.  I am grateful that I found peace where none was seen.  So many unbelievers counseled me to cut my losses and just give up.  I am glad that I did not listen and that I chose to turn to the Lord.  The blessings are much sweeter and more meaningful when you understand and learn the lessons taught through trials.  I am much stronger as a person.  I trust Heavenly Father in everything and turn to him often.  He knows better than any one my personal needs and what will bring happiness into my life.  I know he loves me and wants me to be happy.

No comments: