Monday, June 14, 2010

VIRTUE

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies (Proverbs 3:10)."

I have shared in previous blogs my love of the scriptures and the comfort I find in them.  I have also shared those scriptures that mean a great deal to me.  As such; I am reminded of the 13th Article of Faith when I read the above scripture:  "...if there is anything virtuous; lovely or of good report we seek after these things."

While teaching both Young Women and the Valient age girls I have tried to instill in them the necessity to prepare to enter the temple and remain pure and worthy.  I have reminded them it is important that their thoughts and actions should be based on high moral standards.

Virtue is a pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards.  It includeds chastity and purity.  The power to create mortal life is an exalted power God has given His children.  He has commanded that htis power be used only between a man and a woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife. 

It has become increasingly important for me to teach my own daughters the value of virtue.  My girls are turning into beautiful young women who are pure and clean.  I try to teach them about the promised blessings of being sexually clean and pure and that they need to make a commitment now to be chaste.

Virtuous living "at all times and in all things, and in all places" qualifies us for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.  When we were baptized and confirmed, we were each given the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide all aspects of our lives.  Since the Holy Ghost does not dwell in unclean tabernacles, living a virtuous life is a prerequisite to having the companionship of the Holy Ghost and receiving the blessings of temple ordinances.

Yesterday morning as we were getting ready for church, Allisa came to me and reminded me that she had a talk to give in Primary.  I asked her what her topic was and she stated that it was on the Holy Ghost.  I asked her what she knew about the Holy Ghost from reading her scriptures and from memorizing the 13 Articles of Faith.  She shared with me that he is the third member of the God Head and that he is given to each member of the church when they are confirmed a member of the church after they have been baptized.  I asked her what his purpose was and she told me that it was to help her to choose the right.

What happens if we stray and make mistakes?  How do we regain the companionship of the Holy Ghost?  How do we become worthy to enter the temple and participate in temple ordinances?

Because the Savior loves us and has given His life for us, we can repent.  Repentance is an act of faith in Jesus Christ.  One of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon is found Enos.  This book is the shortest book in the Book of Mormon, yet it has such a profound message.  Enos sought for a remission of his sins and ultimately was forgiven.

The Savior's atoning sacrifice has made is possible for us to be forgiven of our sins.  We have the opportunity each week to partake worthily of the sacrament. 

We should each determine to partake worthily of the sacrament each week and fill our lives with virtuous activities that will bring spritual power.  As we do thi,s we will grow stronger in our ability to resist temptation, keep the commandments, and become more like Jesus Christ.

The Savior chose to live a virtuous life.  Follow His admonition to "learn of me" (D&C 19:23) by reding the entire Book of Mormon:  Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  Liken the scriptures to your life and circumstances.

"I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (Joseph Smith, in introduction to the Book of Mormon).

No comments: