Tuesday, January 8, 2013

HOPEFUL PARENT

"O that thou mightest be like unto this river, continually running into the fountain of all righteousness!"

"O that though mightest be like unto this valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!"

1 Nephi 2:9-10

Each morning before I leave for work I have my personal prayer and my heart is drawn toward my children at this time.  I express my desires that my children will continue to pursue those things that are righteous and that they always find themselves in the right place at the right time.

I believe it is every good parents desire to have good children.  Lehi expressed these desires when he shared his hope with Laman and Lemuel that they would be strong and dependable in keeping the commandments of the Lord.

I remember countless times when I have gone to the Lord pleading with him to help my children when they have drifted from the path of righteousness.  I remember the tear filled eyes as I have added their names to the prayer rolls of the temple.  Like Lehi, I continue to instruct and counsel my children when I have been prompted by the spirit to do so.

Like Laman and Lemuel, my older children do not always take my counsel.  The hope I have that they will return to the ways of righteousness is fueled by the promises made to me that if I keep my covenants my family will be preserved.  Someday, all my children will be steadfast and immovable in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

A similar promise was made to Nephi:

"And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper."

1 Nephi 2:20


No comments: